Color Blocking 101
Color blocking heating up spring 2012! Learn how to find your color combo!
Yes, spring is almost here! I like to always bring spring in a bit early by throwing some amazing color into my life! It is true that color does affect your mood. Whether the color is on you or around you, it can make that personality shine! A unique quality of the color blocking trend is that it can be utilized by women of all ages and during every type of adventure that we create when we color block. If you are at work, rocking a bridesmaid dress, out on the town with friends, or just a cute mom shopping at target, when you got color blocking you got the most wearable fashion trend for spring. There are no excuses! So what are you waiting for? It goes right along with my most favorite word “MisMatched Moments”..or ok….I guess two words. So, try this new trend even if you donʼt love color. Keep reading and i’ll give tips for the “not quite sure gal” to the “I am obsessed like Jen Clyde girl.” Here are my words of color wisdom:
1. For The “Not Quite Sure” gal: Start off small. You will keep more money in that color blocked wallet of yours if you don’t buy a brand new outfit that hangs in your closet with tags on it all summer because you wanted to be on trend but really couldn’t commit. Donʼt waste your time, money, or closet space. Start off with a cute pair of shoes that are one big, bright, bold color…. or even a color blocked shoe with two colors! Maybe throw in a color blocked scarf. Either way, you are staying on trend but being true to yourself. Donʼt over do it and just baby step. You may find yourself wanting more color once you have introduced it in small doses, you know? Be confident! Show your true colors in tiny segments. Get your color blocking accessory today.
2. For the “Ok, I’m in but still need my safe black”: Ok I know I know, I am a stylist and I dress thousands of women, so I know that you all need your black or safe neutral! Itʼs almost like your security blanket…and I get that. Some donʼt like a huge color blocked on their behind because they donʼt want it to look bigger then it is, right? Or maybe you donʼt like your middle, or upper chest? So why would you block it with color? I get it! Trust me, I hear your concerns. So my word of wisdom to you is this: go with your color but anchor it with some black or neutral color such as grey! Not white though… you need to have that dark to pull it all together like a tight rope! Also, donʼt be afraid to clash and mismatch….hello, this is not a matching game we are playing here! So maybe stick with two colors and then add in a splash of neutral. A great place to throw the neutral color is in your problem areas or as a accessory with your belt, shoes, cardigan, necklace, or just anywhere to tie the outfit into one!
3. For the “I’m Obsessed, now show me which color is best?”: Stick with two or three colors at best so you donʼt look like a hot mess! That totally rhymed, but anyways moving on….. Ok choose mostly clean, no patterns, un-fussy silhouettes to keep it together like a beautiful rainbow. Some of my favorite combos are Pink and Red. This to me just works like an unexpected moment you thought would never come together. But it did and it does and it looks amazing! I also really love Teal and deep Blues. Another one to try is Yellow and Reds, so hot! Also Pink, Purple, Teal, and Orange scream, “I am amazing and I know how to color block.” So get your color on and have your spring moment be a bit mismatched and donʼt be afraid to color outside of the circle! Happy Spring!
Just remember there are really no wrong ways here, just wear it with confidence. There are so many stores from all different price points like Target to Gucci, that have these trends right now so itʼs for every one of all ages and sizes. Remember, donʼt color your troubled areas it just screams louder than it needs to in all the wrong places! Happy Coloring.
For my Channel 4 ABC Utah Good Things Utah Show on this segment…please click here!
Info on all the clothing used today on the show:
1. Model: Grey T shirt- 8.99 Target, Dark Blue Capri 25.00 Target, Shoes- Target Bracelets-5.99 Target,
2. Model: Teal T shirt-12.99 Target, Blk Sequins Skirt-24.00 Downeast outfitter, Scarf Green-9.99 Target, Bracelets 5.99-target, Shoes purp.-19.99 Target
3. Teal Jeans- Love Fire @Nordstrom 25.00, Top- Zara for 30.00 Nordstrom, Shoes Blue Flats-12.99 H&M, Bracelets Target 5.99