How To Think Like A Stylist When Getting Dressed
Jen Clyde Stylist Says…
Ok I love to find some great tips inspired by other stylist as well as use some of my own! Now some of the things I notice while being a fashion blogger is that I am always getting questions like..I just can’t pull that off! This is just not true! You can do anything you want too. You just need the confidence to do so. So here are some of my own tricks I use when I get dressed every morning and then here are some others from great stylist that I just loved! So enjoy! Get creative and just relax fashion is not perfect!
1. Add cool factor: I love this! Ok let me explain. So I feel like if my outfit is too predictable I just add some Jeffery Campbell’s shoes or some big bold bright necklace or earrings. As a stylist we are constantly playing around in clothes and trying new things. Like a chef (I do not cook by the way) but Mac and Cheese just doesn’t cut it anymore after a while. So test new things and add that “Cool Factor” of your own. Can just be one stand out piece that you are just a bit nervous to wear.
2. Wear fashion opposites at the same time: Basically a true stylist thinks as an artist. They like to play with texture, prints, and colors. People always ask me questions on How To…but here is a way I think as I am getting dressed. I like to mix a silk blouse with cut off jean shorts, or I like t-shirt with a pencil skirt. I love to put things together that are not best friends and when you do this it can end up in a fashion moment. Some do some don’t but unless you try to unless your willing to hear all sorts of opinions then play it safe. Just feel beautiful and you will make any outfit shine.
3. Not Afraid of DIY: Most Stylist love to invent their ideas in their own head into fashion. I love to test out different ways to take something old and make it new and modern. I feel like when you mix these different times of fashion you end up with a master piece So take old grandma brooches and add to your belt or take them and add them to your purse either way anything you do will turn out amazing and turn heads and make something boring become masterful.
4. The Half Tuck: I always do this from front of my blouse or jeans to not commit to the full tuck but gives you more of a volume and texture to your outfit. I love how it hangs from behind like it’s a messy fashion statement but it works. I love how you can do the one tuck as well just one corner of you button up top. Either way it just gives a different element to wearing your clothes. Try it you will love it.
5. J. Crew Roll: Ok I call this the J. Crew roll, because a cute Stylist from J.Crew blogged some How To’s and I fell in love with this tip and I think you will too. It was on how to roll a sleeve. Instead of tucking the cuff and then rolling, you fold the shirt up once up by the elbow then take the rest and roll it up to the cuff so the cuff is standing out leaving cool detail and then they even stay up better and don’t get loose. To see more of this blog post and ideas click here.
6. Messy pant roll: I love this again from J. Crew Stylist. She shared her messy pant roll. I always do this with some booties but I was happy to see her use it with some flats. I love how it stands out more. As you can tell by most of these stylist tips that having rolls and tucks and patterns to not look perfect is how you get more of that stylist look. Also these rolls stay better and don’t kick you back into the 1950s rolled jean era.
7. Knotted Scarf: You know I love to have some fun ways to tie a scarf which you can go watch online on my YouTube Channel but for an easy way to just throw a scarf on for extra color tie knots at the bottom of each end. Makes it more easy to wear and it makes it just a bit more stand out and different the person sitting right next to you.
As a stylist everyday is a fun day getting dressed because I feel my best outfits come when I don’t try to get that perfect outfit. If I over think it then I know the outfit is not going to work. Remember your personallity and confidence make anything you wear seem effortless.
My show on ABC4 will be posted later after the show aires. All outfit details and information will be posted below. Thanks for Watching my weekly ABC4 Fashion Segment.